Saturday, June 2, 2007

To Blog, or Not To Blog?

“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”-- Anais Nin

To blog, or not to blog?…Ah, that is the question. I’ve read so many blogs about writing, and it seems like every possible topic has been covered in depth. So I ask myself, why should I blog?

I’m embarking on a new chapter in my life, and I want to record my progress towards my artistic goals. In an earlier phase of my life, I graduated with an Associates and a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration/Finance, and went on to complete some credits towards an MBA. I earned my degrees, and spent time working in the corporate world, because it was the practical thing to do. But it wasn't my heart's desire.

I am a very creative person, and in my youth, I showed great promise as an actor and writer. Everyone in my life dissuaded me from those career paths, and I listened to them. The arts are a hobby, a pastime, I was told. I was discouraged at every turn from becoming an artist.

Turns out, I was always an artist. I realized my job, was not my life’s work. It was time for me to reclaim myself, to recognize my identity as an artist, and to honor that by pursuing a creative career.

I’m starting this blog in June 2007, and giving myself one year to complete a few goals. I want to finish the first draft of a solo show I’m writing about Jane Austen. I am also hoping begin a freelance writing career, and I want to get as many pieces published as I can by June 2008. I always said, when I have ten articles published, I’d feel I could call myself a writer. But I’d be happy to see myself moving along towards my goals, even if I don’t get that many pieces published. It’s as much about process, as product.

I’m starting from scratch (so to speak) as a freelance writer, and I’ll be sharing my story each step of the way towards my goals. I’ll be offering my take on writing as an art and a business, and blogging about market leads, interesting websites and writers. I hope that anyone reading who has a dream of becoming a writer will be inspired to pick up a pen. So let the adventure begin, and let’s get writing!

2 comments:

Abram said...

Hi Allison,

To blog or not to blog, that is indeed the question. Sounds like you may have entertained similar doubts as I about blogging in general, and blogging about making your way into the world of freelance writing in particular.

I also have a blog dedicated, in part, to chronicling my efforts, struggles, and successes on the road to a successful freelance writing career.

All the best with the achievement of your artistic goals!

Come by and visit Wordwork|play sometime. http://hybridtumbleweed.typepad.com/

Allison said...

Sorry I was so long in responding to your comment. I didn't realize anyone had found me yet! I'm so glad you did find me, and that this blog is being read by other writers (which is my intended audience.) I have often wrestled with the question, to blog or not to blog. I had another blog two years ago, more personal in scope, that I ended up deleting. I'm back because I feel that everyone should pursue their writing dreams, and maybe I can help others to do that by sharing my own story.

Thanks for the kind words and support! I'll definitely be checking out your blog.

-Ali